This year will be my fifth year as an SLP. I would like to say at this time that I have data tracking mastered. However, I can't seem to find "something" that works consistently. I am not sure that "thing" exists. Tracking data is an imperfect and ever evolving task!
What have I tried so far?
- I have tried Super Duper Inc.'s data tracking app. It took a LONG time to input all students goals. Then to keep them updated after every IEP was a nightmare.
- I have also tried creating an excel sheet with groups. It worked for a while, but I grew tired of having my computer open during groups.
- I don't think I can even count how many different paper forms I have tried! I think I probably adjust my form about three times a year, maybe more. I end up getting inspired by a new form I find and then try it out for a while.
What works for me?
- This last year I set a goal for myself to at least track the student's number of sessions to ensure I was meeting their IEP times. This was the reason I created the Attendance Calendar (free!) I have the students circle that they are present in speech.
- I also created a log for myself that stated that they were in attendance, if not the reason why. I circled the goals we worked on and a note about what we did that session (e.g. artic drill, board game for vocab, etc.)
Where I have trouble? (Admitting your weaknesses makes you stronger right?)
- I couldn't finding a place to track the actual trials, data, notes, levels of prompting, behavioral notes. As well as attendance and things got messy.
- I had kept all my logs in each students folder, and I found myself with piles and piles of folders in front of me. At the end of the day it was daunting just to look at!
- I like things streamlined...this was NOT streamlined. It wasn't easy to take data either and I ended up making things harder for myself.
What am I going to do about it?
- I got inspired by the lovely Ms. Thrifty SLP She shared her log with me. Which I loved! However it was still in paper form and wasn't working for me
- Another SLP on the Facebook SLP group said she uses 2X4 shipping labels to take data.
- I married the two, I created a form using my old form, some of Ms. Thrifty's form, and 2x4 shipping labels and now I want to give it to you!!!
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Buy Avery White Shipping Labels in 2x4 (#18163) I found mine at WalMart. I only bought a few to start to see how I like it!
- If you want to make your own version download the Avery Template here.
- If you want to use my pre-made labels download that here (note the preview will not show what it actually looks like, download it!)
- Make a place to stick the labels, I used the same Avery template but deleted a few boxes to include a place for the student's name etc. Download my version here or a new one with room for goals here
- Print and GO!
HOW TO USE:
- Grab a clipboard.
- Keep a big stack of the labels on it.
- I plan to fill out most of the info that I can. This way I have less work to do. If you make your own you can fill out the year, school. You can even make pages for groups and preload the students names on them!
- Take data during the group.
- When done with the session or at the end of the day take the stickers and SLAP (haha) them onto the students data sheet! DONE! I cannot wait to try this system out!
share this on »